We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
No. 660 Squadron (RAF) during the Second World War
Aircraft - Locations - Group and Duty - Books
No.660 Squadron was an Air Observation Post squadron that supported the Second Army in north-western Europe from July 1944 until the end of the Second World War.
Air Observation Post squadrons were created to provide airborne observers for the artillery (see No.651 Squadron for more details). Most of their aircrews came from the army, and they used light aircraft (most Austers) which flew above their own guns using the altitude to spot targets over the horizon.
No.660 Squadron was formed on 31 July 1943. It moved to Normandy on 8 July 1944, just over a month after D-Day, and was used to support the Second Army during the fighting in Normandy, the advance across France and the final battles in Germany. After the end of the fighting the squadron joined the occupation forces, before being disbanded in May 1946.
July 1943-February 1944: British Taylorcraft Auster III
February 1944-May 1946: British Taylorcraft Auster IV
September 1944-May 1946: British Taylorcraft Auster V
July-September 1943: Old Sarum
September-November 1943: Andover
November 1943-April 1944: Hammerwood House
April-July 1944: Westenhanger
July 1944-June 1945: Dispersed bases in Normandy and northern Europe
June 1945: B.56 Evere
June 1945-May 1946: B.167 Holtenau
Squadron Codes: -
July 1943-July 1944: Air Observation Post, home based
July 1944-May 1946: Air Observation Post, north-western Europe
Bookmark this page: Delicious Facebook StumbleUpon